At the (Golden) Unicorn (At the White Horse, At the Red Door) - Old Town Square 20/548, Old Town
Old Town Square 20/548, Old Town
Originally a Romanesque house (in the basement there is a hall vaulted into a central square-dressed pillar) was converted in 1496 by Matěj Rejsek into a monumental tower-like early Gothic palace (part of the main portal decorated with lillies and the outstanding carriageway with netting rib vaulting were preserved); other, peak Baroque, reconstructions followed in 1712-17 and 1731 (F. M. Kaňka). In 1781 the owner of a bookstore W. Ch. Gerle opened the first public reading room of magazines and book library in Prague, in 1838-39 K. Havlíček Borovský used to live there and in 1848 B. Smetana opened his first music school there (memorial tablet).