Tuscany (Thun-Hohenstein) Palace - Hradčanské Square 5/182 (Loretánská Street 2/182), Hradčany
Hradčanské Square 5/182 (Loretánská Street 2/182), Hradčany
One of the dominating features of Hradčany Square, a majestic palace in Roman Baroque style, was built in 1689-91 by G. A. Canevalle the site of an older block of townhouses for Michal Osvald Count of Thun-Hohenstein, probably based on a plan by J. B. Mathey. On the attic there are statues of Ancient Greek gods by J. Brokoff, the statue of St. Michael on the corner is probably a work of O. Mosto from around 1691. Since 1718 the palace was owned by dukes of Tuscany whose sculptured coat-of-arms adorn the early Baroque façade of the palace. Ceilings with fresco decorations from around 1700 were preserved inside the palace. At present time the palace is owned by the state and is used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. The reconstruction of the palace in 1990´s was awarded by Grand Prix of Architects´ Association.